Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Self Reflection: Reconstruction Debate.


1. How did I feel during planning this presentation? Why did I feel this way? I was nervous while we were planning this presentation because of my group. I did not feel good about my group fro the start. I knew some of the members did not work well in groups and with me. On the last day of planning, half my group did not have anything done. I wish I had done a bigger part. I feel like I may have let down my group because I did such a small presenting part.  

2. How did I feel prior to presenting? Why did I feel this way? I was worried that my group would bomb the presenting. Some people in my group had no idea what they were doing when it came to content. I had to sit down with them and tell them about the content.
 
3. How did I feel while I was presenting? Why did I feel this way? I felt Apprehensive because of what my group had done over the weekend. Half of it did not even make sense to me.

4. What did I personally do well? I think I helped to explain the content well to some of my group members.
5. What did not go as desired in this presentation? The tech part of our presentation did not go well.
6. On a scale from 1-10, how well do I think I understood the content? Explain. 7- I think I understood the content well and I helped to explain it to some of my group member’s well.
7. How do I think my group members perceived me? Why do I think this? I am not sure but I am hoping I wasn’t too bossy or something.
8. How do I think the 8th graders perceived me? Why do I think this? I think the 8th graders thought I should have presented more than what I did. This is because I thought I should have done more and I may have showed it.
9. Knowing that I can only control how I act and react, if I could do this presentation again, what would I change about my actions to make it a more ideal experience? I would do a bigger part and lift some weight off my group member’s soldiers.
10. What are my strengths in groups? I am still not sure exactly what my strengths are.
11. What areas do I need improvement? I need to improve my presentation skills; I always get too nervous when I think of getting in front of a group of people and speaking. When I get nervous, I feel like I will never get better at it. 
12. What is the most important thing I learned about myself? Why is this so important? I learned that you can’t get along with every one always. This is so important because when I grow up and get a job, I may have to work with someone everyday that I don’t like. I will just have to find a way to get around our differences and deal with it.
13. Are there any other things that I need to express? No.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, umm, with what I can gather from your personality, idk if I can help you with the whole poor group members thing. My usual approach to that kind of situation is either give them a task to do and if they don't do it by the set date, I'll tell the teacher and a.) try to get them switched out or b.) let the teacher know that so-and-so isn't doing his/her work; or I'll all but bite their heads off until they do their work (procrastinators of the world beware. }:) ) Oh, well, you and I can brainstorm this together, 'cause I obviously need to figure out a better strategy for approaching slackers. ;P I think you are little too worried about being bossy, sometimes a firm hand is needed. THAT, I can help with. ;) Try to be nice when laying down the law, but don't be too sensitive about it, if they aren't working, they need to be face the consequences. But for those who are working hard, plan with them and strategize with them. Break up the section and conquer and divide. To make sure that no one repeats the same thing over and over, have a google doc going with basic points of each section to make sure you aren't overlapping with anyone else. Don't ever shoulder it all on your own though. If you give yourself all the work, you are going to burn yourself out. Everyone needs to learn to stand on their own, and if you take all the work (though it may be tempting if you are a micro-manager) you won't be helping the others any.

    If something doesn't make sense, first see if you can find a site that might explain it a bit better, if that doesn't work, try to see if someone in your class can give you a brief run down and you can ask your questions. If you still don't get it, email Mrs. Bailin (as a last resort). I asked Mrs. Bailin questions when I could've asked someone else countless times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Katie. I think you have the right idea, Emma. A lot of times you can't plan what group you have to work with or what challenges you'll encounter, but it's important to push through it and do your part. From what you said, I think you realize that, and I'm sure next time you have a project like this you'll be well prepared.

    ReplyDelete